PDA issued the following on Crop Insurance. Details: www.cropinsurancepa.com, 717/787-6901
- Enrollment for the Dairy Margin Protection Program began July 1 and ends September 30.
The program was established as part of the Farm Bill.
- PDA will conduct an Early Riser on Crop Insurance August 19 at AG Progress Days.
- The 15th Annual PA Crop Insurance Conference will be held in Harrisburg August 27.
On December 4, one day before the original deadline, USDA announced that the application deadline for the Dairy Margin Protection Program (MPP) will be extended until December 19, 2014. Established by the 2014 Farm Bill, the program protects participating dairy producers when the margin -difference between price of milk and feed costs – falls below the level of protection selected by the applicant. USDA also urged agricultural producers to utilize an Internet resource, www.fsa.usda.gov/mpptool, to calculate the best levels of coverage applicable to their dairy operation. PA Secretary of Agriculture George Grieg noted that producers should see that the cost is only a $100 administrative fee in order to have a $4 margin that covers 90% of the farm’s annual production. In addition to the Farm Services Agency (www.fsa.usda.gov ), PDA‘s risk management specialist, Jordan Stasyszyn may be reached at 717/705-9511 or email@example.com.
ROCK SPRINGS – The 2014 Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences AG PROGRESS Days August 12-14 in Rock Springs features a wide variety of programs, several of which are listed below. (Complete listing at http://agsci.psu.edu/apd/events)
- Marcellus Shale: August 12 includes no fewer than five programs including Post-Leasing Issues for Landowners and Negotiating Natural Gas Pipeline Easements in Agricultural Land. In addition, DEP will present a program on how Marcellus Shale natural gas resources are regulated as well as describing proposed revisions currently under consideration.
- Public Policy: Farm Bill Dairy Margin Protection; Public Forum on 2014 Farm Bill and State of PA Agriculture; House Agriculture & Rural Affairs Committee Public Hearing. These are all on August 13.
- Conservation/Environment: USDA Agricultural Research Service is presenting a program August 14 on Riparian conservation for managed grazing lands. It ties conservation objectives (habitat, nutrients, sediments) to agricultural production objectives (watering source, maximizing land productivity) with management options (moveable fence, flash grazing).ROCK SPRINGS