Legislative Updates July 2014
- House Bill 1996 (Lawrence-R-Chester) calling for transparency in milk pricing “over order premiums” (Milk Marketing Board fee per gallon of milk that is supposed to go back to dairy farmers) was reported out of the House Agriculture & Rural Affairs Committee July 1 and was re-referred to the House Rules Committee.
- Adopted by the House unanimously was House Resolution 930 (Hahn-R-Northampton) declaring August as “PA Produce Month”.
- Signed into law by Governor Corbett were several laws dealing with hunting/fishing: Free fishing and hunting licenses for disabled veterans (SB 1090/Act 80, SB 1102/Act 81); Elk hunting tag (HB 2169/Act 116). In addition, the Governor also signed:
- SB 1287 regarding snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles as Act 111
- SB 1261 under the Dog Law administered by PDA increasing penalties for torture and murder of dogs used in law enforcement as Act 110
- SB 177 regarding Lyme disease education as Act 83
- Senate Bill 1188 (Vogel-R-Beaver) re-establishes regulatory oversight of the racing industry under the PA Gaming Control Board. Status: Passed the Senate and referred to the House Agriculture & Rural Affairs Committee June 29, 2014.