This is Part II of the AG ONE Newsletter Resource Edition. If you know of additional resources, please pass that information on to PSCFO. As always, thank you for your support of PA Agriculture.
Sincerely, Vince Phillips ******************************************
- The Department of Conservation & Natural Resources (DCNR) announced two grant programs in August.
- First is a program planning, land acquisition, development of educational programs, etc. for snowmobile and related ATV projects. Applications only will be accepted electronically through DCNR’s online grant application system. Applications will be taken up through September 30, 2020.
- DCNR’s Wild Resource Conservation Program which safeguards PA’s non-game animals, native plants, and their habitats is receiving applications to protect native biodiversity. There are three funding areas, species surveys, conservation, and management. Among the priorities for this grant is fire management. Applications will be accepted beginning Monday, August 3, through 4:00 P.M. on Friday, September 25. Applications will only be accepted electronically through DCNR’s online grant application system.
- Federal Resources
Outreach and Assistance for Socially Disadvantaged Farmers, Ranchers and Veteran Farmers
OPPE-014: USDA is making approx. $15 million available funding to help socially disadvantaged and veteran farmers and ranchers own and operate successful farms. The program is administered by the USDA Office of Partnerships & Public Engagement (OPPE). Closing date: Aug. 26, 2020.
The Coronavirus Food Assistance Program (CFAP) provides direct relief to agricultural producers, including farmers and ranchers, who have faced price declines and additional marketing costs due to COVID-19. Closing date: Aug. 28, 2020.
USDA is currently accepting applications for round three of the Farmers to Families Food Box Program. Non-profit and faith-based organizations may apply to be distributors – or may consider partnering with contracted entities which participate. Helpful information includes the Farmers to Families Food Box Program FAQs and How to Become a USDA Vendor. Also informational webinars are posted here.
Additional commodities are covered by the Coronavirus Food Assistance Program (CFAP). Additionally, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is extending the deadline to apply for the program to September 11th, and producers with approved applications will receive their final payment. To see a list of the additional commodities, go to https://www.fsa.usda.gov/state-offices/Pennsylvania/news-releases/2020/stnr_08062020_037?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery.
- PA Farm Bill
- Conservation Excellence Grants fund on-farm measures that reduce erosion and improve soil and water quality in the Chesapeake Bay watershed. Program opened July 1, 2020. Contact: Eric Cramer 223-666-2558 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dairy Indemnity Program relief is available to farmers who experienced financial loss because of COVID-19 (for example forced dumping of milk). Deadline to apply is September 30. Contact: Morgan Sheffield 717-787-3568 or email@example.com.
- Farm Journal Field Days: A Responsible Reinvention will take place August 25-27, 2020. Details: AgInfo@farmjournal.com and 877-692-4932.
- PA Association of Sewage Enforcement Officers (PASEO) Western Conference will take place August 17 in Monroeville. Details: https://www.pa-seo.org/wp1/education/paseo-conference-trade-show/conference-registration/.
- 64th Annual Keystone International Livestock Exposition that was to have taken place September 25-October 4 has been cancelled.
- PA Farm Bureau will hold its Annual Meeting virtually this fall. Registration and program details were not available on their website as of August 11. Contact: Kim Flegal at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-731-3580.
- PA State Grange’s State Session in Erie October 24-27 will be limited to delegates only. Details: Wayne Campbell 717-275-5045.
- PA Association of Conservation Districts (PACD) in partnership with the PA NRCS State Office and the State Conservation Commission is convening a three-day Intro to Conservation Planning Course November 4-6, 2020 in Harrisburg. Details: Shannon Wehinger at email@example.com.
- Pasa Sustainable Agriculture will convene its 30th Annual Sustainable Agriculture Conference in 2021 and will be virtual. This format change means that the virtual conference will take place over the course of several weeks in January and February instead of a concentrated four-day event. Details: www.pasafarming.org/conference.
- The national Commodity Classic celebrates its 25th anniversary in San Antonio March 4-6, 2021. Details: www.commodityclassic.com .
- On August 3, the Senate Majority Policy Committee convened a hearing in western PA on the impact the coronavirus has had on rural health care. Among the stresses are cancellations of elective procedures which impacted both rural health budgets and the health of rural residents. One of the suggestions was to have better availability of Broadband Internet coverage so as to provide rural residents with remote health care where feasible.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT…August 2-8 was National Farmers’ Market Week.