Dear Reader: Maybe this should be re-titled “The Calendar Issue” of the AG ONE Newsletter.
~ Please note September 16, 2019 as the meeting date for the PA State Council of Farm Organizations with a Board meeting at 10:00 a.m. and a Council meeting at 1:00 p.m. It will be held in room 309 in the PA Department of Agriculture Building at 2201 N. Cameron Street, Harrisburg, PA 17110 – Details to follow.
~ Please spread the word to those producers with whom you have contact. PSCFO and USDA’s Risk Management Agency (RMA) with the active support of the PA Department of Agriculture are sponsoring a seminar on Crop Insurance and Risk Management on Thursday September 12, 2019 from 9:30 a.m. – 12:00 noon. The event is being hosted by the MidAtlantic Farm Credit office at 15 Eby Chiquel Road in Mt. Joy, PA 17552 (Lancaster County). Details: 717-728-1217, firstname.lastname@example.org or LHERMAN77@comcast.net
Sincerely, Vince Phillips
THREE BROADBAND HEARINGS SLATED FOR SEPTEMBER
The Senate Communications & Technology Committee is holding three hearings in September to discuss improving access to high-speed Broadband Internet in the Commonwealth.
- September 3 Monroe County Safety Center in Stroudsburg, PA
- September 5 Penn State Fayette Eberly Campus in Lemont Furnace, PA
- September 23 at the State Capitol in Harrisburg
Achieving universal access to Broadband is a major priority of the PA State Council of Farm Organizations. Details: Chloe Mandara, Esq., Office of Senator Kristin Phillips-Hill (R-York), Majority Chair, Senate Communications & Technology Committee. 717-787-7085; email@example.com .
TWO MAJOR DAIRY EVENTS
The Center for Dairy Excellence, PA Department of Agriculture and dairy groups are spearheading two significant dairy events in PA this September. First is the Dairy Financial & Risk Management Conference September 11, 2019. Held at the Central Penn College in Summerdale, PA, bankers, credit managers, and financial consultants will receive briefings on the status of the Dairy Industry given market dynamics and will receive guidance on how to help dairy farmers develop business plans and implement best practices management. In addition, Dairy Farmers of America’s Risk Management team will discuss risk management strategies for dairy farmers. Registration deadline is September 6. Details: www.veterfordairyexcellence.org/dairy-financial-conference .
The second event is the All-American Dairy Show September 14-18 at the PA Farm Show Complex. The All-American Dairy Show runs concurrently with the PA Holstein Fall Championship Show and the Eastern National Holstein Show. A highlight this year is the 2019 Pennsylvania On-Farm Dairy Innovation Forum which will showcase opportunities for on-farm dairy processing, marketing, the PA Dairy Investment Program as well as Dairy Check-Off Resources. The Forum will take place September 17. Details: Melissa Anderson, 717-346-0849, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.allamerican.pa.gov .
PDA CROP INSURANCE CONFERENCE ON AUGUST 28
The 19th Crop Insurance Conference takes place at the Farm Show Complex, Maclay Street entrance, on August 28. Some program highlights:
- Federal Crop Insurance Update (USDA Risk Management Agency)
- Farm Services Agency Update
- PA Farm Bill and Managing Risks
- Risk Management Checklist
In addition, the PA Farm Bureau will brief attendees on Federal legislation and the Center for Dairy Excellence will discuss dairy profitability in these challenging times. USDA’s National Agriculture Statistics Survey will present results of the 2017 Census of Agriculture. Details: Laura England email@example.com
The PA Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Small Business Advantage Grant is taking applications. Qualifiers are small businesses (100 or fewer employees) undertaking energy efficiency, pollution prevention or natural resource conservation projects. These are matching grants of up to $7,000 and eligible projects must save the business at least $500 per year and at least 25% in annual energy consumption or pollution-related expenses. Details: DEP Small Business Ombudsman Office; 717-772-5160.
DATES & REMINDERS
- August 28, 2019 is the submission deadline for nominations to the PA Beef Council Board of Directors.
- September 1, 2019 is the date by which farmers seeking to enter the 2019 PA Soybean Contest must register. Last year’s winner had a yield of 88.75 bushels per acre. Details: https://pasoybean.org/forms/growers/.
- On September 4, 2019, the PA Milk Marketing Board is convening a hearing for all milk marketing areas in Harrisburg. Testimony is being received on Over-Order Premium. Location is in room 110, PA Department of Agriculture. Details: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- The Center for Dairy Excellence is seeking nominations for a seat on its Board of Directors. Nominees must be dairy producers from southeast Pennsylvania and nominations must be received by October 1, 2019. Details: Jayne Sebright email@example.com .
OFFICE NEWS: EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 1st, the new office address for the PA State Council of Farm Organizations will be 3610 Kent Drive, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050. Although the telephone number will remain 717-232-9665, it is strongly recommended that you use 717-728-1217 for the first two weeks of the month so as to make sure that the technology transfer is complete.