- Center for Dairy Excellence announced that post-secondary students pursuing a dairy-related career can apply for one of seven $3,000 Student Leader Scholarships supported by the Center for Dairy Excellence Foundation and the PA Dairymen’s Association. Apply by June 1. Click here for more information.
- PA State Grange has two youth camps scheduled this summer at Camp Sylvan Hills in Howard, PA: June 27-29 Youth Camp and June 30-July 5 Junior Camp. Details: 717/737-8855
- PA Farm Bureau is taking registrations for its Fueling Agriculture & Cultivating Excellence (FACE) conference for young farmers at Bucknell University June 16-20. Details: http://www.pfb.com/images/stories/2014_FACE_YC_RegBochure.pdf
- PA Assn. for Sustainable Agriculture’s seventh annual Bike Fresh Bike Local fundraising effort to connect consumers to locally grown food starts June 1 (Allegheny County), Details: www.pasafarming.org
• On April 12, the PDA published rules under the Food Safety Act and Food
Employee Certification Act to regulate the certifications of food employees. In
the process, outside government comments were received from the PA Catholic
Conference and PA Association for Sustainable Agriculture. Details:
• PDA published a proposed Rule that would allow it to contract with other
agencies or vendors to administer pesticide applicators’ examinations in addition
to the monthly PDA exams. These outside entities would be able to charge a fee
for this service. The proposed Rule has been sent to the House and Senate
Agriculture & Rural Affairs Committees for review.